Friday, September 7, 2012

Sweet and Sour Salad


Soooo...to be honest, my kids can live without this recipe. It has green stuff in it. With that said, tough luck. It's my pick. I win.

To see the other recipes in my 30 Family Favorite Recipe series, clicky here.

I love a good salad, and this one is one of my favorites. My cousin gave me this recipe years ago and I had the sense to hold onto it. You'll want to, too.

The lettuce is crispy and the dressing has a sweet/tangy flavor. What makes it fantastic, though, is the addition of buttery, toasted Ramen noodles and walnuts. Oh. My.

I'll post a picture when I can actually find my camera. =]

Sweet and Sour Salad

1 c vegetable oil
¾ c sugar
½ c red wine vinegar (or regular)
3 t soy sauce
1 c chopped walnuts
1 – 3oz pkg Ramen noodles, dry and broken into small pieces
4 T butter
1 head romaine lettuce – rinsed, dried, and chopped
1 head fresh broccoli, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped

Whisk together oil, sugar, vinegar, and soy sauce. Best to make a day ahead but it’s not the end of the world if you don’t. It’ll be delicious anyway.
Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add crushed ramen noodles and walnuts; toast til golden brown.
Combine the Romaine, broccoli, and green onions. Add the dressing and toss. Sprinkle with ramen mixture before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment