Friday, August 31, 2012

Top 20 Apple Recipes This Fall

I love fall. I love the cooler weather and the leaves turning on the trees. I love the fact that I can BAKE without heating us out of house and home. And the smell of freshly baked goodies....!!! Last time I got on a kick, it was for pumpkin. If you're a pumpkin fan like I am, you can check out my posts here and here.

I kind of got on a food frenzy the other day, as I contemplated the change in seasons. Thought I'd share some of the favorites that I came across. Enjoy!


****UPDATE**** 
I just opened an Etsy shop called ThisOnesMineDesigns, and I am so excited! My kids and I make ceramic buttons and badge reels.

Just to keep in the spirit of the post, these are my country apple buttons. I'd love it if you popped over and took a look around, and clicked the "favorite" button on the top right part of the page if you like them.

If you want to come back here and give me some honest feedback, I'd absolutely love that as well. =]


Back to apple recipe wonderfulness...

I have an apple thing. They look so fresh and country and wholesome. And just like my kindergarten teacher wrote in my very first report card, "when they're good, they're really, really good, and when they're bad, they're horrid." Maybe that's why I like 'em.

Make sure you get some good ones! Sweet, juicy, crisp. I love Fuji for all around use, and Granny Smith for baking and canning.

Once upon a time I purchased a bin of apples, yep, one of those huge boxes, and made applesauce and apple pie filling to my heart's content. If you have access to something like this but don't want them all, consider splitting a bin with friends.

If you decide to go it alone, the apples last pretty well on the back porch in cooler weather if you don't want to process all of them. Just pick up some apple boxes from the grocery store to keep them in and be sure to sort out any bad ones before storage.


A recipe for Homemade Canned Apple Pie Filling an be found at Skip to my Lou. I've canned lots of apple pie filling and it is a wonderful thing to have on hand for a last minute baking splurge. There's a recipe for cobbler on the same page that looks delish.

If you're really ambitious, it makes beautiful gifts at Christmas time. Just make sure you give it to someone who appreciates the difference between a can from the store and the real deal. =]


Along those ambitious lines is something I've never tried but have always wanted to attempt. Apple Butter. I've made apricot butter before, which was intense and one of the best jam type things I've ever made. It seems like it took hours of stirring over a boiling pot, but it was worth it. Really. I imagine this would be wonderful. The cool part? This Apple Butter is made in the crock pot. The recipe is at Changing My Destiny.


These sweet-tart apple cookies are fully of soft, melty caramel. It uses an instant apple cider mix rather than real apples, but ohhh, doesn't it look divine? You can find the recipe for Caramel Stuffed Apple Cider Cookies at Scrambled Henfruit

These babies look fantastic. Little mini apple fritters. Because sometimes you want the taste without the whole 10,000 calories, you know? Check out Seemingly Greek for the recipe. This young lady has a fun story about how she ended up in Greece. =]


If you want some serious volume, check out this Apple Fritter Bread found at Flour Me with Love. The dough gets rolled out thin, then covered with apple-y-cinnamon-y goodness, cut in squares, then stacked together in a loaf pan to bake. The result? Bread that comes apart in layers. My apple fritter loving son was begging for this one. =]


Kind of along those lines is this beauty. The dough is made, then wrapped around little bundles of apple filling. Oh. My. The Apple Cinnamon Pull-Apart Loaf recipe can be found at Cooking with Chopin.


This. Oh, yes. This is my kind of breakfast! Apple Cider Buttermilk Pancakes with Apple Caramel Syrup. Aren't you just dying to make breakfast right now? And breakfast for dinner is always good, right? The recipe is at Cherry Tea Cakes.


To be fair, here's a recipe for Apple Pie Oatmeal. I am not a fan of oatmeal for the most part, but I think this recipe could change that. Who could pass up the taste of pie for breakfast? And healthy pie at that! Family Feedbag has the recipe.


These muffins are low fat and low cal. Just thought I'd sneak 'em in here. I love hot muffins on a cold morning and the crumbly top should add a touch of the sweetness I crave. I haven't tried these yet, but I will. Muffins are a mainstay here. The recipe is from Fitness.



Are these gorgeous or what! Apple chips are one of my favorites. I think I'd use Fuji instead of Red Delicious, just because I like the sweet/tart favor better, but you've got to admit that the red contrast here makes them as fun to look at as I'm sure they are to eat. Vittles and Bits has the recipe and beautiful photo..


Apple Enchiladas? Flour tortillas stuffed with apple pie filling and covered with a syrupy sauce, then baked 'til golden? A definite yes. My kids are all for this one because, well, they're a BIG treat, you know? And what an easy and fun way to do it. The recipe is at Cornfed Mama.



Bite Sized Apple Pies are a fast and easy treat since they use refrigerated pie crust. If you're a stickler, you can make your own. I absolutely love pie crust baked with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled over the top. Add the apples and mmmm.... Cookin up North has the recipe.


Another quickie, Upside-Down Cinnamon Apple Coffee Cake uses canned cinnamon rolls for a base. She had me at cinnamon rolls. The recipe can be found at Lady Behind the Curtain.



This baby is like a quick and easy version of apple pie. Can you see it now, served up with a scoop of vanilla ice cream? And did I mention easy? With six kids, desserts go fast here, so quick, easy, and delicious are the prerequisites. Annie's Eats has the recipe for Apple Crumble Bars.


And if you want to get fancy, Apple Pie in a Jar......from Our Best Bites. You could use your home canned apple pie filling for these. I love how these are decorated. Wouldn't these be neat for gifts or dessert at a party? Can you imagine a table lined with your choice of apple, or cherry, or peach, or apricot...


Apple Cider Caramels??? Mmmmm...yes, please. I have a thing for taffies and caramels. I think it goes back to years of wearing braces and feeling deprived. I think, as an adult, I should make up for that deprivation.   Bourbonnatrix Bakes has this recipe, and no, there isn't any bourbon in them. =P

This is a baked apple, filled with vanilla ice cream, then drizzled with caramel sauce. I'm thinking it would make a fun Family Home Evening treat. Can you just smell those apples baking? The recipe calls for brandy in the sauce, but another liquid could easily be substituted. Time for a Little Something has the recipe.

This one is special. I'm thinking Thanksgiving, maybe, because my sister always makes something spectacular and I'm the just get it done girl. LOL. Candy Apple Pie...a graham cracker crust filled with cheesecake and apple pie filling, then topped with whipped cream, caramel, and pecans. I already have that Thanksgiving feeling of being unable to eat another bite. Clicky here, at Doughmesstic, for the recipe.


And to go with all of that deliciousness, wassail. I love wassail. It makes me smile. A hot cup, a good book, a warm fire, a rainy day, and life is at its best. Gathered Round Our Table has a recipes for wassail and spiced cider. I've made a couple, and the pineapple juice in the wassail makes all the difference. Don't skimp or substitute on it. They're worth writing down and tucking away.


Just to get you started, and to give you a bit of energy while you bake up a storm, try this Toffee Apple Dip. It's cream cheese blended with brown sugar and Heath Toffee Bits. Everybody I know who has tried it has absolutely loved it. When I make it, I add a little splash of vanilla, and I like to serve it with sliced Granny Smith apples since their tart flavor balances out the sweet. You can find this recipe at Mel's Kitchen Cafe.


Unfortunately, I don't have a link for this picture, and no it's not a recipe, just a bonus. If you know where it comes from, let me know and I'll post the link.

I love how these were used for candles, though. If I made them, I'd bust out the drill with a bit that was votive size and bore the hole just deep enough to insert the candle. If you don't have a drill, then a paring knife would do the trick, with a little skill. =]

Get some apples and have fun!


86 comments:

  1. These are wonderful recipes and it's an honor to be included in them...thank you ;) I look forward to checking out all the other sites as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! Yours definitely caught my eye. My son was in heaven when I showed him the recipe. He's my apple fritter fan. Definitely on the must bake list. ~ Erin =]

      Delete
  2. Great list! I just got through a month of making apple recipes over on my blog! I have 8 right now!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, just checked out your blog. Too cute! I feel like a baby just beginning over here. LOL. I'm going to have to try your crockpot applesauce! ~ Erin

      Delete
  3. I tried the recipe for Apple Butter on the blog "Changing My Destiny", the one where you cook in a crock pot. It turned our perfecto and sooooo YUM! It was gone in less than a week. Everyone loved it and it was so easy too. Try it, I know you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Audrey, Easy....I like that word when it comes to cooking. LOL. The stove top version takes forever, so I'm excited to try this one. ~ Erin

      Delete
  4. I made apple butter in the crock pot last year...omg - it was Ah - Maz - ING! It is especially delish on oatmeal. The other bonus was that my house smelled so good while it cooked....took about 3-4 days to finish!!
    I recently bought some apple syrup from a market in Michigan - it isn't sugary like maple syrup. I hope to find a recipe for it. We bought some Honey Crisp and Sweet Tango apples today - so deee lish!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary - I never would have thought of putting it on oatmeal. Thanks for the idea! And apple syrup? Now that sounds good...There's an apple farm near here that might have some. I'll have to try out out if they do and see what I've been missing =P. ~ Erin

      Delete
    2. Mary- putting apple butter on oatmeal. Genius! Flavoring and sweetener in one scoop.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful collection of apple recipes! Thank you so much for sharing it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you're welcome, Avril. I can go all year without eating apples, but there's something about this time of year that makes me crave them.~ Erin =]

      Delete
  6. Erin, thanks for including my apple chips in this collection of amazing-looking recipes!! I am so flattered :) Will definitely be checking out some of these links! Those caramels sound especially yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie, can't wait to try apples your way! I loved peeking in and seeing your beautiful page. I can tell that I'm going to get lost for hours on it. ~ Erin

      Delete
  7. wow, everything here sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh....they are amazing, Lexilooo. Hope you try them and enjoy them as much as we did. =]

      Erin

      Delete
    2. How do you make caramel apple twizzlers

      Delete
    3. How do you make caramel apple twizzlers

      Delete
  8. Thanks for including my Apple Cinnamon Pull-Apart Loaf in this wonderful list of recipes, Erin! I can't wait to try out some of the other goodies you've provided links for. They all look amazing.

    Thanks!
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny,I am a bread fan over here, and your bread is divine! So glad I found it. Hope you enjoy the others. Isn't Pinterest wonderful? LOL. I've tried so many wonderful recipes that I wouldn't have found otherwise.

      Erin
      One Crazy Lady

      Delete
  9. Love this list of apple recipes! Thanks for including my caramels :) I'm really looking forward to trying a few recipes on your list in the coming months! Fall is my favorite baking season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, you are so welcome. I'm saving your recipe for Christmas as I KNOW I'll pig out and eat too many. LOL. Your photography is gorgeous, by the way...and I just found your Bourbonnatrix Cooks page. Looking forward to spending some time trying out your recipes!

      Erin

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for these amazing ideas! I'm so excited for fall and I can't wait to try out these wonderful recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, and you're welcome! I love spring for the rain, but fall is my favorite time of year for baking. Hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I did. ~ Erin =]

      Delete
  11. Here are two websites for those apple candles. http://nubry.com/2011/10/diy-how-to-make-apple-candles/

    http://totallyeileen.blogspot.com/2011/11/diy-apple-candles.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the links! I have one of those little cutting blades that was used - never would have thought to break it out for this. =]

      Delete
  12. When over whelmed with apples I make apple butter using a crock pot, its very easy to do. It started out of a failed attempt to make applesauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love accidents that turn out well! Doesn't it makes you that much more willing to experiment and try again? =]

      Delete
  13. I have tried to access the site for making the
    apple slices.....it "locks" up my computer all the time!!! i even went to the "vittels and bits direct site, and the same thing happens...can you please tell me what is wrong with the server or how to access the site.......thanks.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vera...all I can think is that maybe her site was extra busy at the time you tried to access it? I just tried the link a minute ago and didn't have a problem with it. Give it one more shot. It's a cute site and worth the effort. =]

      Delete
  14. I love this time of year, when apples abound, and there are so many yummy possibilities. This is a wonderful selection of apple deliciousness, and I thank you for including my cookies in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I love apples and fall and baking. You just can't beat the combo. Your cookies are beyond wonderful and I'm so glad I stumbled across your recipe. I love your site, by the way. Can't wait to try out some more of your recipes!

      Delete
  15. Hi Erin, my name is Connie thanks so much for sharing. I too lost my husband in 2009 and i am trying to find my niche',thank you so very much for giving me this tiny oasis !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie, sorry to hear of your loss. It's the pits, isn't it?! So many chances for adventure and growth, though, if we choose to take them. I wish you luck. ~ Erin =]

      If you come back and see this, check out my post in September called "Lift Up Your Head, Princess - Finding Joy in Adversity". I think you'll know just what I'm talking about.

      http://claybabies.blogspot.com/2012/09/lift-up-your-head-princessfinding-fun.html

      Delete
  16. Thanks so much Erin and yes i will check it out !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this! Linking back to this post today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marla, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's so fun to come across great recipes. Your site is beautiful, by the way. I'll have fun looking through it. ~ Erin =]

      Delete
  18. What a great selection ! I'm excited to try some. I hope I can persuade you to come share this post on my Farm Girl Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/09/farm-girl-friday-blog-fest-1.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, I'm glad you enjoyed them. Thank you for the invite...pretty exciting for me! LOL. I'm still trying to figure out how this blog stuff works. Just posted on your page and linking back now. Love your page, btw. ~ Erin =]

      Delete
  19. They all look delicious! My favorite one though I think has to be the apple fritter bread...droooooollllll :) Thank you so much for linking up to the hop. I hope you will join and share with us next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in! The apple fritter bread is my son's favorite. It's BIG and delicious, which is the perfect combo for a teenager. LOL. I've been checking out your page for awhile, but it was so fun to have discovered your hop and join in. It was my first ever. ~ Erin =]

      Delete
  20. Hi Kathy, I love your blog. Thanks for the invite. I would love to join you guys over there one of these days for your Blog Hop. =]

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you Erin for a great list done the right way! So often I see bloggers just making a list of links and pictures of recipes/projects. You have actually made the list easier to use by a brief description. It sounds like you have made or will make all of them. It not just a list to fill up a blog post. I will be checking out the rest of your blog! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Jeans and a Sweatshirt,
      Thank you, and so glad you liked the post. I definitely like to try out the things I post about, and I like having a visual reference. Glad this post didn't seem too long. =]

      Delete
  22. great ideas! i will post some on my blog too! i am about to post some recipes for autumn, and i will try to bake as well!
    www.mygenerouslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. The apple candles pictures is from http://momsneedtoknow.com/apple-candles/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, is it your site? I think that picture has made the rounds...lol. I've found it on lots of sites, but I'm not sure of the original.

      Delete
  24. Just had breakfast and looked at your apple recipes . This had made my appetite increased again. Excellent preparation.


    Workshop Taarten Maken & Workshop Chocolade Maken

    ReplyDelete
  25. What I got from your blog is that you love apples. :) I got water in my mouth after watching these products.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Articles and content in this section of the website are really amazing. Great ideas indeed! I will surely keep these in my mind!

    french cooking recipe & easy to cook recipes

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow this looks amazing! I must try this one! you have a beautiful blog by the way, I love it
    Yummy recipes for kids
    Fun Kids Recipes
    Yummy recipes for kids

    ReplyDelete