Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Variation on Tacos

For the record, I made this for dinner tonight.

I burnt the hamburger while helping my daughter google primary sources of those who were aboard the Mayflower.

Then I dropped a glass bottle of jalepeno peppers while getting the cheese out of the fridge.

Then I got the whole blasted thing together and couldn't find the camera for your viewing pleasure.

Then I typed it all up and forgot to post it. So much for a post a day.

Move over Pioneer Woman. I am obviously stiff competition.

It still got devoured, by the way. I left to pick up daughter number two and came home to a pan that had been scraped clean. Just sayin', burnt and all.

My mom gave me this recipe several years ago. It's one of the few recipes that ALL of my kids eat without complaint, which puts it right up there in the solid gold department as far as I am concerned.

This is another recipe in the 30 Days of Family Friendly Recipes series. To see the rest, click here.

This one is pretty simple, can be made up ahead of time and baked just before dinner, and can easily be augmented to feed extra bodies that happen to stop by.

It's called Chili Stack - maybe because taco seasoning is made with chili powder? I contemplated changing the name to Taco Stack, but really, I couldn't do that to my kids. Chili Stack is family.

Chili Stack

2 lb hamburger
1/2 c onion, chopped fine (or 4 T dehydrated onion - I usually cheat and use dehydrated)
2/3 c taco seasoning (about 3 pkgs)
4 c water
8-16 oz shredded cheese 
8-10 flour tortillas

Brown hamburger and onion and drain grease. Add water and taco seasoning and simmer 10 minutes. Layer meat, cheese, tortilla, six times in a deep casserole dish. Top with meat and cheese. Pour any leftover sauce over the top. The sauce is juicy and soaks into the tortillas.

If you double the recipe, you can use a 9x13 pan. I often use extra tortillas and spread the meat and cheese a little thinner.

Cover and bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Let set for 5 minutes for juice to soak in. Cut in squares to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment