Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Brown Sugar Sausage-Bacon Appetizers

I think I've told you that my mother-in-law is a fantastic cook. She has a recipe stash to envy. She makes everything, and lots of it. She revels in family parties, and food has always been a central part of those parties.

This is one of her recipes. The first time I saw these babies one Christmas morning, I thought yuck. Bacon and sugar?

But it was Christmas and I was a new addition to the family, so I was brave and tried them anyway. And then I tried another, and another. Little pieces of sausage, wrapped in bacon, coated with caramelized brown sugar, hot and sweet and salty...I about died.

This is one of those recipes that I recommend making infrequently. It does not go in the healthy section. It goes in the spoil me silly section and should be used accordingly. 

Christmas morning is a good time. Preferably when you have lots of company and have to share. 

I can't remember if this recipe was on my list of 30 Family Favorites to share with you guys. If it wasn't, it is now. There's no way I could pass on it. I'd feel like I was hoarding a family treasure, and I did promise to share.



I know my picture is dorky. Bear with me.

Brown Sugar Sausage-Bacon Appetizers

24 links uncooked sausage, cut in half
1 lb bacon, cut in half
1/2-1 lb lt brown sugar
toothpicks

Wrap each sausage piece with a piece of bacon. Secure with a toothpick. Arrange in a 9x13 pan. Sprinkle sausage with brown sugar. You can make these up the night before, cover and stick in the fridge at this point.

Bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours to desired doneness.  Baste occasionally with drippings and break up any lumps in the sugar. Sugar will caramelize while cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment